Sleep is an essential routine that should be well-spent for overall health and wellness. However, not all people fall asleep quickly because of a lot of reasons, like discomfort, pain, and stress. In fact, about 50 to 70 American adults have sleep disorders. That’s why it’s important to find ways to resolve sleep issues, such as buying a new mattress. Replace your sagging and worn out old mattress to promote better sleep every night.
Read this helpful guide from a mattress expert on how to buy a new mattress.
Trust Your Instinct: Turn and Toss to Test the Mattress
More than anyone, you alone know your comfort level. That’s why it’s important to test the mattress at a brick-and-mortar store all you want and trust your instinct of which mattress to buy. So, go ahead and turn and toss or bring a book to read or use your smartphone while testing the bed. Feel the bounce, comfort, and feel for at least ten minutes, just enough time to assess if the mattress if worth buying.
Check the Specs: Know the Features and Benefits
Not all mattresses are the same, even if they belong to the same size or mattress type. Whether you’re buying online or in a physical mattress store, you have to check the specs. Why is this so? You have t know the features, like the make and material, and the benefits that each feature provides. By doing so, you’ll be able to assess the durability, longevity, comfort level, and health benefits that the mattress can provide to you and your family.
For instance, Beautyrest mattress promises the best support system in the world with their Hybrid line. Here are the best features and benefits of the Hybrid line of this trusted mattress brand:
- Beautyrest Pocketed Coil Technology: This feature limits motion transfer. In that way, you can lie down with ease because of the extra back support, without being disturbed. This hybrid mattress has a coil layer made of small coils, allowing your body to adapt to the mattress without causing too much noise.
- ContourFit Design: The surface of the mattress allows you to sink readily into the memory foam, thus relieving pressure efficiently.
- InfiniCool: This cooling feature includes a cool-to-the-touch fabric layer, pulling heat away from your body, which avoids sweat and hot feeling during sleep.
What’s Your Sleep Style: Assess Your Sleep Needs
There are a lot of important factors you have to consider when choosing the perfect mattress for you. For one, you have to know your sleep style. Are you a side sleeper, or do you always sleep in your stomach? Do you have a companion in bed? How about your weight? Yes, your sleeping position, weight, height, and even your medical condition can influence your choice of mattress.
Here are some helpful tips when buying a new mattress that best suits your sleep style and needs:
- Side Sleepers: For side sleepers, they need a soft to medium-firm mattress that ranges between 3 to 7 on a 0 to 10 firmness scale. If you’re a side sleeper with chronic back pain, memory foam works best. Hybrid models can provide extra support, which eliminates pressure points on your shoulders and hips.
- Stomach Sleepers: Choose a responsive medium-firm foam so it won’t allow excessive sinking of your body into the mattress for a sounder sleep. You need a firm enough mattress, so your spine remains properly aligned but soft enough to decrease the pressure on your stomach and ribs.
- Back Sleepers: Latex and memory foam mattresses provide contouring for back sleepers. Most foam or medium-firm latex mattresses promote good spinal alignment for these sleepers.
Online Mattress Shopping: Always Check Customer Reviews
If you’re planning to buy a new mattress online, make sure to read customers’ testimonials since you won’t be able to test the mattress yourself. By doing so, you’ll have a better idea of your prospective mattress is a great choice, basing on the reviewer’s sleeper type, mattress preference, and style.
Now you’re more knowledgeable and confident to buy a new mattress. By taking important things into consideration, like your sleep position, and knowing the best features and benefits of the mattress will help you choose the best one for your sleep needs. Of course, don’t forget always to test the mattress if you’re buying in a physical store or check online reviews if you’re buying online to save yourself from returning the mattress if it won’t work for you after a couple of days.