When you or a loved one decide it is time to get treatment for an issue with drug or alcohol addiction, you are probably feeling overwhelmed. Adding to that stressful situation is where do you go to get the services you need? There are many places to go and the need is immediate. What do you need to consider when making this important decision? There are a number of resources available to help you decide.
One resource can be comprehensive
The US government provides a comprehensive overview of services available in your location. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has a helpline and an online locator to help you find a local center to help you. This free service is a good place to begin your search. This program can also benefit those who are looking to recover from long-term depression or those who are trying to keep from harming themselves. The organization collects information from around the country and provides it for people at a turning point in their lives.
What you should look for in a treatment center
There are specific services you should be looking at before deciding on a facility.
- Treatment for mental health disorders
- A rehab program that is specifically designed to treat the substances that you are abusing
- A program that does not use or rely on risky forms of withdrawal, like rapid detox
- A facility that has programs that go further than just detox and that is able to treat the psychological, emotional, and lifestyle reasons and factors that contributed to the abuse in the first place.
One specific caution is that addiction treatment is not a one-size fits all situation. You need to find a center that will treat you as an individual with a specific addiction issue. A customized treatment plan prepared just for you will help ensure your successful treatment.
Now you are better prepared to make this monumental and hopefully life-changing decision of where you can go to find the right place to treat you. It is important to go online and see the websites of the places you are considering. You can also choose to read reviews of the treatment centers from past patients. By googling “addiction centers near me” you can also get a list of those facilities. If you do not want to attend a rehab facility in the same city but would like to stay in the same state you can search for drug and alcohol rehab in Florida, which will give you options within the state of Florida, if you were to live there. Then you need to do the research, or have a friend or loved one help you with this process. It is also a good idea to call the centers, or again, have someone you trust help you with this. You will be asked a number of relevant questions to help the center staff guide you in the right direction.
These questions might include but are not limited to:
- Is this call for yourself or a loved one?
- What drugs or alcohol have you been abusing and for how long?
- Are you able to access financial resources such as insurance for treatment?
- What are your co-occurring medical issues?
Some personal questions are also in order:
- Is smoking allowed in the facility?
- If I need it, are there childcare options?
- If I take medications, will I be able to do that while in treatment?
- Will I be allowed to see my family?
There are also questions you might ask the facility:
- How soon can I get an appointment?
- What do I bring with me to the facility?
- How do I get to the center?
- How much will treatment cost? Will you accept my insurance?
The best places to look for a treatment facility
You have decided to seek help for your addiction issues and it can be complicated and confusing to understand what you need to do to find the right place for you. If you are in Massachusetts, look into a drug rehab center in Newburyport, MA. Here are some final insights:
- Check the SAMHSA website
- Check out the individual sites that are recommended
- Call a number of facilities in your area
- Check online reviews
- Ask the right questions
Most of all, make a decision and do the work to help control your addiction.