Recently, MongoDB has become a popular database. It is a non-relational database provider and is document-based. It is approximately 100 times quicker than conventional database systems. However, people are still taking time to research and analyze whether they can or can’t substitute the relational database systems. But it is indeed useful in gaining scalability and high-end performance.
Generally, a relational database comes with a conventional schema design. It highlights the table numbers and the association between these tables. When it comes to Mongo DB, these relationships don’t feature.
The reason for choosing MongoDB
It is essential to know why people are opting for Mongo DB. The apparent reasons are explained below:
- It comes with a rich object model
The MongoDB assists an expressive and rich object model. And these objects also have distinct properties that can stay in one another for various levels. The models are object-based and can get used to present any object-format in your domain. It is essential to index any object at any hierarchy level. It is highly powerful.
- There high availability and replication
The MongoDB backs up a single master model. It indicates that you have access to one master node and multiple slave nodes. Hence, when the master isn’t working, the slave gets to work as the master. The process takes place automatically. However, it takes time for the same, especially before the 3.2 release. At times it might get slightly slow, where you should read from the various nodes for consistency.
- Secondary indexes
The indexes add speed to the queries, but at times can lessen the writing speed as well. The secondary index is a top-notch feature of this database. It helps in indexing any property efficiently in the database, despite it getting stored. You can easily query from the database, depending on the secondary index.
- Navigation aggregation
MongoDB gets equipped with the Aggregation framework for operating the ETL pipeline (Extract, Transform, and Load) for transforming the data saved in the database. It is ideal for medium to small jobs. However, with time as the data processing requirements gets complex and evolves, the aggregation framework might need extra help for debugging. You can get expert advice and assistance here from a service provider. To know more about this, you can check out RemoteDBA.
- Schema-less models
The Mongo DB allows you not to add any schema in the documents. It was a default in the earlier editions. But in the brand-new version of the MongoDB, users have the choice to enforce/not enforce the schema in the documents. Every MongoDB document can have various structures, and it depends on how you apply and interpret the data. It might be redundant for several applications, and in specific situations, the added flexibility is essential as well. Schema-fewer models indicate that documents in one collection don’t require a similar structure that has disparate data.
The benefits of MongoDB over the relational database systems
There are several advantages that you will find in MongoDB as against the relational database systems. The obvious ones are:
- MongoDB doesn’t have a schema and is a document database. Here a collection holds various documents. However, when it comes to a relational database, you have to design the tables, relations, data structure, and start coding. The differences between both are several in terms of the size, content, and fields of the document. However, when it comes to the relational database, all the record should comply with a specific pre-defined schema.
- Mongo DB can get scaled horizontally by adding servers. On the other hand, the relational databases can get scaled vertically, by maximizing RAM.
- MongoDB is perfect for storing hierarchical data that doesn’t get supported by relational databases.
- MongoDB pays attention to the CAP concept, i.e., consistency, partition, and availability. On the other hand, the relational databases focus on ACID elements, i.e., atomicity, consistency, isolation, and durability.
- MongoDB backs up the JSON query in addition to SQL. On the other hand, the relational database assists only the SQL query.
- MongoDB is a hundred times quicker in comparison to the conventional database systems, such as the relational database systems, which is much slower.
- You can configure, set-up, and operate MongoDB much faster than relational database as compared to the relational database.
- There isn’t any back up for the complicated MongoDB joins. However, the relational databases assist the complicated joins that are easy to understand. It might take more time to implement, as well.
- The MongoDB also assists in-depth query capacity. It means we can conduct the dynamic questions on the documents making use of the document query style, which is as potent as the SQL.
Last but not least, in MongoDB, the application mapping and conversions for the database objects aren’t required.
The benefits of MongoDB for business
Today, corporates and business owners are opting in for MongoDB as it provides ample resources. It comes with a well-written and thorough documentation. Also, the installation process is simple, which helps to create an active community for the same. Several users find that learning about MongoDB is easy in comparison to the other databases. It enables you to generate quicker adoption and minimize on the training time.
Another important aspect here is that of data sharding! Many companies today prefer databases that come with an in-built scaling aspect. It helps the database to expand as the company and business grow. The MongoDB data sharding assists data storage across many machines to enhance the performance of vast databases. The two aspects that it can address are writing substantial data and the index which doesn’t fit on memory. This distributed format can make a huge difference in application performance.
The leading service providers of MongoDB offer flexible solutions to cater to the business requirements. Customers can expect help and assistance with migration, planning, execution, and testing stages in the MongoDB projects. Also, there are MongoDB experts who have ample experience in IT and get certified in MongoDB. They can share their guidelines and also help in troubleshooting an issue. With their guidance and help, you can configure the MongoDB platform and execute the routine tasks.